Sunday, January 2, 2011

The making of "How to Make a Baby"


















Shooting this project was a blessing. Everyone was in great spirits and really believed in the project and I want to thank everyone involved from the bottom of my heart! I love creative people!

How to Make a Baby (a title that makes people smile and wonder exactly how graphic the film gets) Is a short film I wrote while living in Hawaii for a short time early 2010. After leaving the island due to acute island fever I returned to good old Hollywood and wanted to get right to work at making sure I am always filming something. I write alot of short films, but I chose to produce this one because of the subject matter. I was told by someone who watched it that its unrealistic, black people have no problems making babies. He was indeed a moron. Anyway, the story goes beyond race and tackles an issue many loving couples go through, and it points out that sometimes life and the way things happen are really screwed up.

Watching a show like "Teen Mom" on MTV which deserves a daytime Emmy (thats sarcasm) I wondered why these little kids are being rewarded for being irresponsible. Why are we watching them put an innocent baby through suffering because they didn't practice safe sex. And then I thought about my philosophies towards having children and I've always been very careful and dream of looking forward to starting a loving family with the man of my dreams. In other words "doing things the right way", according to society. Another show "Giuilana and Bill" follows a couple who are trying EVERYTHING to have a baby. I feel so sorry for these poor folks, watching them go through their journey and feeling disappointed because they are not able to do something that seems so natural. They feel like failures, and I'm certain watching the kids on MTV pop out puppies doesn't help.

In my research there are a ton of myths and methods to making a baby, surprising enough. Through out the years people have passed down "wisdom" regarding the oldest trick in the book. And that was my inspiration.


The main characters in the story, Alyah and Michael have done everything right. They're a happily married couple approaching their mid 30's. Gainfully employed, in their right minds, and would be assumed to be the perfect people to have a baby. But something in the universe, or life, or Murphy's law, or whatever you believe in is preventing them from conceiving. When they turn to their friends and family they get that "wisdom" and discover none of that actually works. What does happen is when they let go and let life, they are rewarded with their little blessing. Thats the lesson these characters learn.

And thats the way it is sometimes. Life works for you, and when you go against it, things simply don't work. You'll get frustrated, curse the god you worship, and wonder woe is me! Let go and Let life, and you'll receive your blessing, whatever it may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment