Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Casting Process

My first casting notices for Fire in the Pulpit are out there and I'm excited to see what comes in. So far with casting I've always been very blessed to find quality actors who take direction very well, but also bring their own voice to the characters. As a writer/producer sometimes I have to disconnect myself from the character thats in my head, and open my mind to what the actor in front of me is bringing. For instance in casting during Interns Anonymous I had the characters mannerisms, the way they talked, held their hands when they were nervous, everything already set in stone in my head. These characters already had a life of their own and personalities that might be hard to match in real life. I soon began to see that the actors in front of me were bringing something to the table I've never thought of before, and I even began writing around THEIR personalities. The result was a cast that people fell in love with and situations they believed.

Casting for FIP is going to be an interesting challenge here in ATL for me simply because I have no clue where I am when I'm driving lol. But also because I am so open to having the actors really show me what they've got! I've given myself a week to try and get to know the city, meet some people, then it's down to work.

1 comment:

  1. Keep doing your thing. I can't wait to see the fruits of your labor.

    ReplyDelete